From one hundred and forty coffees between April to August on my early morning walks in varying locations during the COVID19, here are my totally made-up coffee awards presented to the Coffee shops in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Best service award: Barista Staple Street
- Worst service award: Hilton Colombo
- Weakest coffee award: Simply Strawberries by Jagro (Cotton Collection)
- Strongest coffee award: Monkeybean Cafe
- Most overpriced coffee award: The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
- A great seating area, but average coffee award: Mövenpick Hotel Colombo
- Okay coffee, dull atmosphere award: Hotel Galadari
- Best flat white award: Cinnamon Grand Colombo and The Kingsbury Colombo
- Use of local coffee beans and a great understanding of the product award: Whight & Co Cafe
- Local coffee at an interesting colonial hotel award: Hotel Nippon
- Okay coffee, comfy fresh modern ambience award: Bread Talk
- Arrogant staff, but good coffee award: Heladiv Tea Club
- Fun atmosphere, but average coffee award: The Commons Coffee House
- No coffee area, didn’t stay award: Grand Oriental Hotel
- Confused where to have coffee, so didn’t Stay award: Marino Beach
- Delivered coffee to my apartment award: Sugar Bistro and Barista
- Longest close down during COVID period, but best view whilst having an average coffee award: Galle Face Hotel
- Open all through the COVID period and satisfied my coffee craving award: Ramada by Wyndham Colombo
- Okay coffee, but the greatest welcome to the almost always empty large lounge award: Shangri-La Colombo
- Never open on my walks award: The Grind Coffeehouse
Many of my above findings are on video, which you can checkout on The Whinging Pome Facebook page.
There is a coffee culture in Colombo and there are lots of choice and new places opening. About 40% of locations do not have low-fat milk, many can’t do a decent flat white coffee.
So having completed my coffee survey, speaking to many staff en route, enjoying some of the coffee, I’m now reverting to my area of greater knowledge………wine, though I will avoid drinking in the morning.